Whereas, Psychology as Disciplines of knowledge occupies an important place in the cultural heritage of Pakistan.
Whereas, the need of the hour is that Psychologists play a more positive role in strengthening the ideological frontiers of Pakistan, both in thought and actions.
Whereas, Psychology as a subject of study is becoming increasingly popular in the universities and colleges of Pakistan.
Whereas, Internationally, Psychology has achieved a respectable status both as a Fundamental and Applied Science, and is being put to the service of man in different walks of life.
Whereas, the need for the successful application of Psychological knowledge to the solution of Pakistan’s manifold problems is being increasingly left.
Whereas, Psychologists of Pakistan are faced with academic and professional problems, to be dealt with collectively, at National and International levels;
It is here by resolved to give the Pakistan Psychological Association the Present Constitution in place of the Old Provisional one.
As passed by the General Body of the Association on the occasion of its third session held in Lahore on the Seventh day of May 1987and subsequent approval of amendments by General Body on the occasion of its 10th session held in Lahore on the Fifth day of April 1999 at Government College Lahore.
Recommended by General Body of the Association in second session held in Islamabad in April, 1999 respecting.
- Short Title, Jurisdiction, Scope and Definition of Terms
- The constitution shall be known as the “Constitution Of The Pakistan Psychological Association.”
- It shall extend to the whole of Pakistan and shall be subservient to the law of the land.
- It provides the directive principles and the statutory frame work under which the Association shall perform its various functions including the election of office bearers, formation of different bodies, committees and sub-committees, passing of budgets, framing of comes this for psychologists working in different professions, and other rules and by laws to ensure the difficult working of the Association toward the fulfillment of its Aims and Objects.
- It shall come into effect from the fifth day of April 1999.
- The Association shall act as a National Organization of the Psychologists of Pakistan. But just as it may have members from her countries, it may be affiliated to, subject to the law of the land; recognized International Bodies of Psychologists if such an affiliation helps promote its Aims and Objects.
- In this constitution, the following terms shall mean what has been stated against each:
- “Association” shall mean The Pakistan Psychological Association.
- Abbreviations “PPA” shall also meant The Pakistan Psychological Association.
- “General Body” shall refer to the collective body of Members of the Association.
- “Member” shall mean Life/Full Member of the Association, irrespective of the fact whether such a Member has paid his/her Membership fee on an Annual or Whole Life Basis.
- “Honorary Life Member”, “Associate Member”, and “Student Member” shall each belong to separate categories of Membership, as defined later, and shall be distinct from “Member”, i.e., Life/Full Member, as mentioned in the foregoing sub-clause.
- “Office-Bearers” or “Office Bearer” shall mean the Office Bearer(s) of The Pakistan Psychological Association such as: President, Senior Vice President, Vice President, Secretary General, Additional Secretaries, Secretary Press and Publications, Secretary Finance and Executive Members.
- Similarly, bodies like “General Body”, “Executive Committee” or any other Committee or Sub-Committee shall refer to the so named bodies of The Pakistan Psychological Association, unless specifically mentioned otherwise.
- Whenever necessary, the Masculine Gender will be used irrespective of the Sex of the person concerned.
- Aims and Objects:
The Association shall have the following Aims and Objects:
- To promote the cause of Psychology as a Basic and Applied Science, and of Psychologists as Academicians as well as Professional Working for the Welfare of the Individual and Society.
- To suggests ways and means of improving the quality of training, research and professional competence in the field of Psychology and its related departments with different disciplines and co-ordinate and evaluate these activities at a National Level.
- To protect, safeguard and promote the legitimate interests of its Members and help create suitable job opportunities for them.
- To highlight the use of Psychology in different walks of life with special reference to current National and International needs.
- To lay down the qualification and experience requirements, and codes of ethics for Psychologists working under different assignments and locations.
- To establish fraternal relations with National and International Associations and Societies of Psychologists in different parts of the worlds.
- To project the National point of view in International Forums, and provide the National Forum with benefits of International opinion, views and comments on problems of common interest.
- To hold conferences, seminars, workshops and exhibitions where Psychologists from all over Pakistan, and whenever possible, from other countries as well, can freely interact with each other to their mutual advantage and publish notable contributions such as: newsletters, journals, proceedings of important events both scientific and popular, in appropriate forms.
- To enlist the support of Federal and Provincial Governments and other Public and Private Bodies and Individuals towards the |Fulfillment of the Aims and Objects of The Pakistan Psychological Association.
Only Full Members, hereinafter called just “Members” as defined above, (and to be distinguished from other kinds of the Membership, to be described later), shall constitute the “General Body” of the Association, and shall have the following rights, privileges, duties and obligations in respect of the Association.
- The right to invite all meetings of the General Body of the Association;
- The right to vote in such meetings including election of office-bearers, passing budgets, and such other matters as may be provided for, in this constitution, or rules and by laws made there under.
- The right to be heard by other Members, as well the obligation to listen to them in all such matters as affect them as Members of the Association.
- The privilege of seeking the assistance of the Association in protecting, safeguarding and promoting their legitimate academic and professional interests, and in improving their training and research facilities, opportunities and prospects of employment.
- The duty and obligation to uphold and promote the interests, dignity and prestige of the Association, strengthen it both financially and professionally, and implement its directives and decisions both in letter and spirit.
- Types Of Membership:
Following are the categories of Membership including fees information.
- Life/ Full Member:
Any qualified Psychologist can become a Full Member of The Pakistan Psychological Association on payment of the prescribed Annual or Whole Life Membership Fee on the approval of the Executive Committee. The minimum qualification of the Psychologist shall be Masters or an Equivalent Degree in Psychology.
- Honorary Life Member:
- The honorary Life-Membership of the Association, may, as a mark of recognition, be conferred on anyone who may or may not be a Psychologist in the formal sense of the term, but one who, in the opinion of the Executive Committee of the Association, has rendered an outstanding services to the cause of Psychology and Psychologists or to humanity at large, provided that such a decision has been unanimously taken by the Executive Committee and ratified by the General Body. Their name shall be entered into a special register to be maintained for this purpose in the office of the Association, which shall be known as “Honorary Life Members Register.”
- But unlike the “Member” of the Association, honorary life members shall have no voting rights in the Association.
- Associate Member:
Any person who subscribes to the Aims and Objects of the Association and undertakes to abide by the rules and by laws applicable to him/ her, can become an Associate Member of the Association on payment of the prescribed fee provided that his/her application of Associate Membership has been recommended by at least two Members of the Association and approved by its Executive Committee; provided further that unlike a Member he/she shall have no voting rights in the Association.
- Student Member:
Any regular student of Psychology, on his furnishing satisfactory evidence of his/ her being such a student and recommendation of at least two Members, or head of his/ her institution, become a Student Member on payment of the prescribed fee for such Membership, subject to the rules and by-laws made for this purpose from time to time, provided again that unlike a Full Member, he/ she shall have no voting rights in the Association.
- Any Other Membership:
The Executive Committee may in anticipation of, or subject to the approval of the General Body, create any other category of Membership, provided that the category created shall be subject to the rules and by-laws made for this purpose.
Rules and by-laws, to be framed later, and ratified by the General Body, shall among other things, prescribe the fees for different categories of membership, which may change from time to time according to price index.
- General Body:
- The General Body shall be the supreme body of the Association. Only the Full Members of the Association as defined in Clause III-I above shall constitute the “General Body” and shall have voting rights in the Association. Others may be invited to its meetings as observers or guest speakers or asked to express their opinion and views on certain matters or read papers and made comments on them, but shall having no voting rights. No person other than the Members (i.e., Full Member) can by right attend the meetings of the General Body of the Association, and he/she shall have to leave such meetings if asked to do so.
- The General Body shall have the following powers and functions:
- Elect by secret ballot, preferably but not necessary, from among the panel of names, nominated by the Executive Committee, the following office-bearers, who shall all be honorary and non-remunerative.
- Elect Members of the Executive Committee, representing as far as possible different institutions and regions of Pakistan.
- Pass budget estimates, duly approved by the Executive Committee.
- Pass rules and by-laws according to the prescribed procedure.
- Constitute sub-committees for specific purposes
- Amend the constitution in accordance with the prescribed procedure.
- Consider all such matters as may be referred to it by the Executive Committee or any of the sub-committee or any of the sub-committees, or raised by any Member of the General Body with the permission of the chair, provided that such matters fall within its purview.
- The quorum for all such meetings of the General Body in which elections under sub-clauses (i) & (ii) of clause 2 above are held shall be at least one third of the total enrolment as Members, or else elections shall be held through registered post. The amendment may be made by two-third of the Members person.
- On matters relating to sub-clause (iii) & (iv) of clause 2 above, the quorum shall be one third of the total Membership.
- The General Body shall meet at least once in a year, preferably on the occasion of its annual session. There shall be no bar, however, to its meeting on occasions other than the annual session.
- An emergency meeting of the General body however by convened on the instructions of the President, or on a written requisition signed by at least thirty Members to consider specific issue of an urgent nature, which should be clearly stated in the agenda. The notice for such meetings shall be dispatched to all the Members by registered post at least ten days before the date of the meeting. The quorum for such meeting shall be fifty.
- Notices of meetings of the General Body will be issued by the Secretary General or in his absence by anyone authorized by the President for this purpose.
- Executive Committee:
- The management of t Association shall vest in a Executive Committee consisting of the following
- Senior Vice President
- Vice Presidents
- Secretary General
- Additional Secretaries
- Secretary Finance
- Secretary Press and Publication
- Five Elected Members
- The Executive Committee shall have the following Powers and Function.
- Recommend and revise budget estimates and present the same to the General Body.
- Nominate the General Seasonal President for the next session, (But the General Seasonal President for the Fourth Session will be elected by the General Body).
- Constitute Section of Divisions comprising the main branches of Psychology, particularly the ones included in the syllabi of Pakistani Universities, or the combinations of such branches as may be closely related to each other, and nominate Sectional Presidents and Secretaries for each. Paper reading will be generally done in the Sectional meetings. There shall be at least five of such sections.
- Draw up panel of names for election of office-bearers shall be divided by the General Body, as provided in sub-clause (i) of clause 2 of section iv.
- Fix the date and venue of the Annual Session and chalk out its program of activities
- Nominate the Chief Guest (s), if any, for the Annual Session or for any other occasion.
- Approach to Federal and Provincial Governments and other public bodies and individuals for grants, donations and other forms of assistance.
- Approach the Government of Pakistan for inviting foreign guests if any, and prepare a panel of such names.
- Establish fraternal relations between different Associations and bodies of Psychologists and others all over the world.
- Publish proceedings of the annual session, Association’s Journal, etc., appoint Editorial Staff for the same and make other arrangements in that connection.
- Frame rules and by-laws in conformity with the constitutional provisions, for the efficient functioning of the Association, and submit the same to the General Body for approval.
- Undertake and intensify Membership drive, publicize Association’s activities, and take such other steps, as it may consider necessary to promote the Aims and Objects of the Association.
- Appoint sub-committees and nominate individuals for carrying out its work.
- Sanction such expenditures within the approved budget as lie outside the powers of the individual office-bearers.
- Recommend to the General Body affiliation of Provincial Associations of Psychologists to the National Body, namely, “The Pakistan Psychological Association.”
- The Executive Committee shall meet at least once a year.
- The quorum for all meetings of the Executive Committee shall be Six or on expansion of Members as decided by the President.
- The Executive Committee may also appoint a sub-committee of its own to assist the President in taking decisions on its behalf, which may be ratified by the Executive Committee later.
- The tenure of the Executive Committee shall be Two Years, or until fresh elections are held.
- Powers and Functions of Office-bearers
She/he shall have the following Powers and Functions:
- The President shall be the Chief Executive of the Association, and he/she shall exercise all such Powers and Functions on behalf of the Association as the General Body and the Executive Committee may authorize him/her to do. All the office-bearers of the Association, Honorary and Paid, shall work under his/her guidance and supervision.
- The President shall preside over all the Business Meetings of the Association, whether they will be of the General Body, Executive Committee or any of the Sub-Committee of either, unless otherwise provided.
- The President can sanction budget expenditure up to any amount. But his/her power of sanctioning unforeseen expenditure form “Contingency” head on any single item shall be limited to Rupees five hundred only.
- Secretary General:
The Secretary General shall be responsible for convening meetings of the General Body and Executive Committee of the Association and its Sub-Committee, unless otherwise provided in any particular case, keeping authentic records of the proceedings of these meeting, conveying the decisions of the Association to the quarters concerned. He/she shall also act as the administrative head of the office of the Association. He/she shall perform all such duties and functions as may be assigned to him/her under rules and by-laws of the Association.
- Secretary Finance:
The Secretary Finance shall be the custodian of all the property and funds of the Association. He/she shall be responsible for maintaining the accounts of the Association receiving funds and making payment for, and on behalf of the Association provided that they have been duly sanctioned and approved. He/she shall follow all such rules and by-laws as may be made for the proper discharge of his/her duties and responsibilities.
- Other Office Bearers and Bodies:
The duties and powers for all the Federal and Provincial Bodies, Office-Bearers, Committees and Sub-Committees of the Association shall be governed by rules and by-laws to be made for this purpose from time to time according to the prescribed procedure.
- Procedure for Framing of Rules and By-Laws:
The Executive Committee shall of purposes for drafting rules and by laws appoint a Rules Sub-Committee of its own, approve them in the light of the constitutional provisions, and adopt them provisionally for conduction the Business of the Association until the next meeting of the General Body to which it should be presented for ratification.
- Amendments to the Constitution:
- All amendments to the Constitution shall first be discussed there by the Executive Committee and its Rules Sub-Committee, if any, and then placed before the General Body with a note on the proposed amendment by the President. The General Body, if it so desire, may approve the amendment as it is, in which case the required quorum shall be Two-Third of the Members. But if it rejects the amendment or refers it back to the Executive Committee for further consideration, decision to this effect by a simple majority of the Members present will suffice. However, if the General Body wants to modify a proposed amendment without reference to the Executive Committee, it can do so only unanimously.
- All amendments to the constitution shall be treated as a part of the constitution and shall have the same force as the rest of the constitution.
- The above procedure of amending the constitution can also be followed by registered post where Two-Third majority of total Membership is required.
- Transitory Provision:
Notwithstanding anything said herein before, all acts done by the President of The Pakistan Psychological Association, for and on behalf of the Association, since its first session held in Dacca in March, 1968, including the holding of its second and third session in Islamabad and Lahore in 1975 and 1978 respectively, and framing of its present constitution, and all actions taken by him in consequence there of including the implementation of the present constitution, shall be deemed to have been in good faith and be treated as constitutionally valid, and shall not be open to question in future.
I have been directed by the Executive Committee of PPA to put forward the proposed amendments unanimously agreed by PPA Executive Body in its meeting dated 25.1.1997 at Govt. College Lahore which was held to improve the amendments in the light of observation made by the respected Members of PPA in its General Body Meeting dated 31-10-1996 at Al-Hamra Hall, Lahore, and subsequent meeting of the Executive Committee and organizing committee form time to time.
UPTO SECTION II:
The Constitution Section III dealing with kinds of Membership.
Following amendments are proposed:
- Member shall mean a Full Member of the Association.
- Any qualified Psychologist who has obtained the degree of M.A/M.Sc. in Psychology/ Applied Psychology recognized by U.G.C Pakistan or The Substitute Department can become a Full Member of the Association on payment of the prescribed annual of Whole-Life Membership Fee. After filling up the Performa.
- Any person who intends to seek New Full Membership of PPA would be required to submit the attested copy of M.A/M.Sc. certificate and detailed mark sheet to the Incharge, Registration PPA. All other documents required from time to time are also to be submitted. The application should be introduced by Two Existing Members. Such applicant would attain the status of Full Member (herein after called Member) after the approval of Executive Committee. In case the Executive Committee does not meet 60 days after the receipt of the application and before the commencement of Conference, then the date of Membership would be treated on which the applicant had submitted his/her complete’ application along with draft/money order/cash amount for Membership. After attaining the status of a Member, he/she would be eligible to get Membership slip/card of PPA bearing his/her photograph or thumb impression and signatures, duly attested by President/Senior Vice President or Secretary General PPA. Such slip/card would remain in the custody of the Member. In case of lost Membership card, duplicate Membership card would be issued on payment of Rs. 50/- only, or the amount Determined by Executive Committee from time to time.
- Every Member has to renew his/her Membership on payment of the prescribed annual Membership fee as determined from time to time. The Membership would cease to exist on the expiry of the period for which the fee has been paid.
- Is no change in (i) to (vi) types of Membership page of the constitutions section (III)
Section (iv) General Body Clause I:
Section (iv) clause 2 subclasses (i) no change, Paragraph 1 of 2 (i) a change is proposed in the office bearers given hereunder.
Section V. of PPA Executive Committee:
- President … (01 All Pakistan Basis)
- Senior Vice President. (01 All Pakistan Basis)
- Vice Presidents ……… (05 in number i.e. 01 from each Province and 1 from Federal Area, Azad Kashmir and FATA). It was decided that although the posts of 05 Vice Presidents are Regional but all the PPA Members would Elect them.
- Secretary General, (01 All Pakistan basis)
- Additional Secretary General (02 All Pakistan basis).
- Secretary Finance: (01 would be Nominated by The President from amongst the Executive Body of PPA).
- Secretary Press and Publications (01 All Pakistan basis).
- Thirteen Members Executive Committee/Advisory Council, (05 to be Elected on All Pakistan basis. 01 to be Elected or Nominated from Federal Area, Azad Kashmir and FATA, 04 to be Elected or Nominated from Armed Forces, 03 Technocrats to be nominated by PPA Executive Committee. All the Members of PPA would caste vote for all the office bearers of PPA Executive Committee except Nominees).
Clause iv or matters relating Sub Clauses (3 to 4) of clause II above, the quorum shall be One-Third of total Membership. The amendment may be made with Two-Third majority of the Members present.
Section V. Executive Committee:
The management of the Association shall vest in an Executive Committee consisting of office bearers mentioned amendment.
If any Member (belonging to any Province/AJK/FATA of PPA could not attend the Conference due to some reason or had no intention to contest the Elections, in such cases President PPA with the approval of Executive Committee may Nominate any Member from respective area so that representation from that area could be made. Section 5 clauses 2, 3, (i to xv) no change (xvi) sub clause to be added. This should read as Sub-Clause No xvi, Establish Psychological Local Chapters at Administrative Divisional Levels and help these Local Units in the Promotion of Psychological Activities in Respective Area. Such Units are supposed to perform Functions in Collaboration with PPA.
Executive Committee while having the Final Decision may Consider the Recommendations from of Vice Presidents of Respective Regions. Section V clauses 4,5,6,7 (no change).
In Section III-B, after types of Membership Establish Divisions of Psychology, such as Educational Psychology, Clinical Psychology, Muslim Psychology Departments and other Important Divisions with the Advancement of Time and Technology.
Section V. of Executive Committee, other proposals for the formation of Executive Committee made by General Body was all the Posts of the Office Bearers of the Executive Body (Except Nominees) would be filled up through Election to be-conducted by Election Commission.
Section VI Elections:
- Elections would be conducted on the Final Day of PPA Conference.
- President with the consent of Executive Committee would Nominate Election Commission 2 weeks before the Commencement of the Conference. Election Commission would consist of 1 Chairman and 5 Members. The commission would be responsible for holding fair and transparent Elections with right to caste vote but have no right to contest Elections.
- Election Commission would possess and may display upto-date record of PPA Membership. Each interested may examine it in the PPA office or may obtain voter’s list on payment as per cost.
- Old Members, Life Members have a right to cast vote for all the posts of Executive Body of PPA
- New Members of PPA have right to cast vote only if he/she has obtained the Membership at least on the First Day of the Commencement of Conference.
- Full Registration for Casting Vote or Contesting Election is Essential.
- Qualification of Conditions:
- President, Senior Vice President 15, Vice President at least 10 years after M.A/M.Sc. in Psychology or Equivalent.
- Secretary General at least 7 years after M.A/M.Sc. in Psychology or Equivalent.
- Additional Secretaries, Secretary Finance at least 5 years after M.A/M.Sc. in Psychology or Equivalent.
- Executive Member At least 3 years after M.A/M.Sc. in Psychology or equivalent.
- Every Member (Old, Life, New) may caste his/her vote only if he/she produces his/her original membership card/slip to the Election Commission.
- The Old Members are expected to renew their Membership First Day of the Conference at the maximum otherwise they would be ineligible to caste vote.
- It is proposed that Membership renewal may be made at the desk of the Registration on the First Day.
- For the eligibility of casting vote only renewal of Membership or upto date Full Membership is required.
Section VI Clause 2:
Voting shall be hold for all the posts of Executive Committee (Except Unopposed). All the Members would caste vote for all the posts of Executive Committee (Except Nominees).
Section VII Powers and Functions of Office Bearers i., ii, iii no change
- The President would Nominate Chairman/Chairperson of the Organizing Committees of Local Units/Conference with the approval of Executive Committee.
- Senior Vice President he/she will preside over the meetings of PPA and still perform the functions entrusted by. Further on the behalf of the President or in his absence or according to the desire of the President, he/she shell exercise the Powers and Functions of the President.
- Vice President:
- Each Vice President of the respective Province will be responsible to Executive Committee, organize Local Units and mobilize them to perform functions as advised by Executive Committee of PPA. He/she will act as responding of PPA in the Province in which the Conference, Seminar is being held.
- He/she would be Ex-Officio Member of Organizing Committee of Local Unit.
- Secretary General (same): No change
- Additional Secretary Generals
- He/she will be responsible for the Membership drive.
- He/she will be in charge of Registration matters at the time of Conferences/Workshops/Seminars and submit the account to PPA Executive Committee on the very First Meeting after Conference/Seminar, Function etc., since there are Two Posts of Additional Secretary Generals, the duty would be assigned by the Executive Committee in their First Meeting.
- Secretary Finance:
Accounts of the PPA will be maintained by him/her and all types of sanctions are to be taken from the Executive Committee.
- Secretary Press and Publication:
- He/she would act as Liaison Officer between the Press and PPA
- He/she would Coordinate Secretary General in the matters advised by the Executive Committee.
- He/she would be responsible to deliver the news to various newspapers, arrange press conferences for president and Secretary General and maintain the record of PPA publications and other miscellaneous proceedings.
- He/she would be Ex-Officio Member of the Local Organizing Committee holding the PPA Conference.
- Executive Members: No change